Saturday, April 18, 2009

A bit late, but my thoughts on Wednesday's Tea Party in Buffalo, NY...

I actually held off on doing this for a few days intentionally. I wanted it to be more practical and less emotional. Less.... limbic, if you will.

First, let me say that I am not an active political member. I've never attended any rally that my high school didn't force me to go to, and I've never openly demonstrated for or against any cause before. I was NOT contacted by ANY organization. I found out about these parties and I sought out the nearest one to me. There was no hint that the movement sprouted from any centralized figure or organization, nor was it directed in favor of any political party.

As a legitimate grass-roots movement, Private views being espoused by my fellow demonstrators were diverse and clearly as upset with excess on the Republican side as with the same on the Democrat side. In fact there was a call to form a new political party, the Common Sense party... locally.

When I arrived at the gathering about 20 minutes early there were only a handful of people milling about. Having a natural hesitation when dealing with people in Buffalo at public functions (usually finding them to be loutish, selfish and many times drunk....0 I was pleasantly surprised to find a broad range of types who were all here to promote the common goal of responsible use of taxpayer money.

There was the somewhat scared mid-40s woman whose sister was a co-organizer, who just wanted to express her frustration at how her life has been turned around, there was the guy who works in a company supplying parts for spacecraft manufacture, who not only showed up in a Colonial outfit and brandishing a "Don't Tread on Me" flag (my favorite American flag to date...) but he loaned me his Nikon when I found my son had drained the batteries of our digital camera.

When he sends me the images I'll be certain to post them.

There was a guy with a biker look with a "Don't Tread On Me" tattoo on his arm who compared his snake to the one on the flag and said his was bigger. I replied that "I hear that a lot myself...". which helped lighten the air somewhat. There were a couple of older gentlemen who appeared to be retired auto-industry types, although I did not confirm that with them. Then another man in a more authentic colonial outfit arrived, unrelated to the first, and they decided to form a team.

Gradually the crowd grew in size and by the time Channel 7 news began to cover the event we had approximately 300 people.

Not enough to satisfy Janeane Garafolo, but for Buffalo, NY that's pretty impressive.

For the record, as the Blond reporter first starts to speak the guy behind her with the black and grey jacket is me.

Everyone was respectful, emotionally invested in the message, offered solid and useful commentary and encouragement, and not one of them mentioned hating anybody. We just want our money spent wisely.

I had planned on making a placard that read "President Hussein apologizes for the US, I Do Not" but I opted not to, as I wanted to keep the Tea Party message on track. The co-organizer, Laurie, thanked me for the restraint and reminded me that there were many different issues going on but that this was specifically a tax-related one.

I kind of feel like the Anti-Michelle, here, because this was the first time I actually enjoyed and was positively motivated by my fellow Western New Yorkers. Maybe open-air concerts aren't the best places to see the real side of people. Ich bin ein Buffalonian.

I was tempted to take the mike when the emcee was asking if anyone else wanted to speak, and you all know I can goon for a while ranting, but I felt I should hold my tongue for the moment.

After all, with the success of this party, I'm sure I'll be heard at the next one.

I'm Dr. Calamity, and I approve this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment