Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I don't want to be responsible for my actions, whines teen...

In a disturbing news article on CNN.com a young man is bemoaning having to pay a hefty price for an action which took less than two minutes to do.

Of course, the consequences to the young lady, a former girlfriend who has been the victim of nude photos sent to him in private being disseminated, will take years to work out. But that's not important.

What's important is that this kid doesn't feel he should be punished.

I recently went through something similar (albeit less nudity-based) where my son was concerned, and in some cases the offending kids and their families were agreeable that punishment... fair punishment... should be meted out, and in one case one kid and his family risked the kid having a felony offense on the records. They backed down at the last moment, but the idea that consequence was considered an inconvenience too heavy to bear was what enraged my wife and I.

I won't go into the issue of "sexting", which is frankly something I've not engaged in (I was, however, forced to leave a website once for posting a photo of myself naked wearing an apron and holding a KFC chicken leg and bucket... long story, but true...) so I'm not particularly qualified to go into.

On the other hand, the reason we have laws precluding young adults from drinking, drugging, driving while drinking, or even voting is because too many times they are insufficiently capable of using long-term consequence as a guidepost to their decision-making practices.

Seriously? Is this even something we need to be reminded of? Yes. Because after the illegal aliens are granted all the rights and privileges of Americans you can bet your bottom dollar (which will be the ONLY one you'll have left by that point...) that the left will start campaigning to lower the voting age to either 16, 14 or 3 depending upon how much they think they can get away with.

I'm Dr. Calamity and I approve this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment